Manfred Vierthaler moved to the Pacific Northwest from Frankfurt Germany in 1953, and with his parents in 1959, the family opened "The Bavarian", a fine German restaurant in Tacoma. In 1976, his parents retired, and they sold the restaurant. Manfred then took two years and travelled the winegrowing regions of the world; while in Germany he was invited to join the Rhiengaur Weinconvent (the only U. S. winemaker so honored).
In 1976, he bought the old candy factory where the winery is located now, on the road into Sumner, and built the restaurant/winery in traditional Bavarian architecture, reminiscent of the grand chalets of the old country.
Manfred was an early proponent of Western Washington as a prime area
for the growing of German Vinifera winegrapes. He has made wine from
grapes grown on Vashon Island and in Pierce County in very limited
The Wines: Current releases (Spring 1996)
Of special note:
The restaurant is one-of-a-kind. Featuring traditional German fare, such as Knackwurst, Gulash, Saurkraut and Schnitzels, as well as many gourmet specialties like Frosch Schenkel (frog's legs), Hirsch-Rollbraten (venison), Baer Ragout (bear), and Hasenpfeffer (rabbit).
Welcome to MikeL's WA Winery Guide (http://vintners.net/wawine/)
up to MikeL's WA Winery Guide -- Main Index